Hi

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:46 AM

Hi Pawan,

I am just wondering how this app compares to Clickonce deployment. Can you briefly explain?

Thanks and regards,

Pooran

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM
Edited Dec 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Hello Pooran,

Thanks for dropping by.

AppUpdater is not an imitation of ‘Click-once’ deployment nor offering very advanced features like security certification by assembly signing..etc. It is a simple and quick component with some promotions from user experience perspective. AppUpdater suites best for loosely coupled component based DotNet desktop applications,

I am not a advanced consumer of click-once deployment strategies, when I tried deploying my application with click-once, I found it challenging in several ways.

- I didn’t find how to accomplish custom pre and post updates.

- Installing my application to the user selected location (other than c:\program files or c:\user\..) and then updating only the files which are updated.

- Product advertisements during the update process.

- Updater UI sharing same ‘look and feel’ of the owning application.

- ClickOnce applications are installed per user, per machine. If five people use the same machine, each of them will get a new and separate install—and not necessarily all the same version.

- There's no obvious way to re-point a ClickOnce-published build to a new update URL.

Ofcourse, there are ways to overcome the shortcomings listed above, perhaps using Windows installer or Microsoft's Application Updater block could solve the problems very well. However, I found creating my own simple updater application is more effective. 

After some years, when I noticed (directly and virtually) developers or application teams either using their own application updater component or using WIX kind of XML based installer projects for their products. That triggered me to fine tune AppUpdater and publish it under open source tag.

It is not a competitor to any existing deployment technologies; it’s a quick start component for the people/team who wishes to have their own custom updater with some additional features. It can be owned by anybody and fine tune as per their requirement.

Regards,

- Pavan