This project is read-only.

User Account Control

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Hi there,

What approach did you follow in order to correctly adress the restrcitions around UAC in Windows Vista onwards?

I have an implimentation of application updating that I use, but UAC is/was not taken into consideration when it was designed, so it requires me to run the application as Admin when I need/want to perform a update - which causes it own sorts of problems.

Thanks

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Hello,

This is something I am also currently working on. The current version throws an exception and exits. However, there is a possibility to handle this situation with the help of application manifest file which you will see in the next update release of AppUpdater.

Sorry for not giving you very positive answer at this moment.

Thanks.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Hello mieliespoor,

You can now find UAC handling implemention in AppUpdater samples. Download latest source using SVN (this is not yet released as download pack). Navigate to DevBuild->UserInterface and check newly added sample folder "Winform_Updater_UAC". Compile this solution and try running demo module on vista/windows 7, It will show up UAC elevation prompt and proceed on receive of valid admin token.

There are no code/configuration changes in Appupdater component. I have used manifest file (app.manifest in Winform_Updater_UAC folder) and embedded it during project build process. (VS.Net IDE 2008 allow us to do this in project properties.)

Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:19 AM

Thanks! Will give it a try.